Hafod House near Aberystwyth: The Hafod Press, printed by James Henderson, 1807.
First edition. Two volumes in one. Quarto. (viii), 426p; vii, 328p. Illustrated with three maps, two folded and three plates, one folded. (A plate of The Lord de Joinville and of Saint Louis.) Both title pages with large engraving of Hafod House. In a contemporary binding of full black straight-grained morocco, a.e.g., the spine in six panels titled in gilt on the bands, the panels decorated in blind and gilt, the covers with a series on decorative frames with gilt cornerpieces. Translated by Thomas Johnes of the press. Maps and plates foxed. The covers with moderate old wear, some loss ot spine gilt, the joints with rather heavy wear inside and out, but holding, evidence of removal of small round bookplate on front paste-down, so good+ only. Item #23423
"Strangely enough, the first of the private presses that one can associate closely with the mood of bibliomania was also set up in the remotest Wales," set up by Colonel Thomas Johnes, a Cardiganshire squire, at Hafor House in 1803. The press closed in 1810. (Cave. The Private Press, p 43-44).
Lowndes, III: 1224.